Three HIGH IMPACT home renovation strategies that will DRAMATICALLY increase the value of your home in Medicine Hat.
To be fair, this isn’t only for people in Medicine Hat, rather, these renovation strategies are versatile and easy enough to apply in any market and still see the same results. If you own your own home then you’ve started reading the perfect article, especially if you’re considering renovating it. But why? Is it worth spending the money? What do you get in return? What should you focus on? With a seemingly endless supply of options to consider when renovating your home, it may seem daunting. Most people don’t realize the true potential their home can have with the right renovations. For example, these interesting renovations show the sheer versatility of any place, fixture, or design at your disposal. The only limit is your imagination… and your budget. To be honest, most of the incredible renovations your see are done with a fairly high budget. However, there is a way to improve the value and aesthetics of any home without breaking the bank as long as you focus on the right things. This article will help simplify the world of renovations by telling you exactly what to focus on and why it will benefit you the most out of any other renovation strategies in Medicine Hat.
The housing market in Medicine Hat sucks right now, invest in your own assets with renovation.
The number of new builds under $300k has slowed down significantly, while the builds above $300k have come down in price. The problem is that houses just aren’t moving like they used to. Also, the new mortgage laws in Canada have made it harder and harder to get a mortgage in the first place. While some are losing their minds from the stasis, others are seeing the opportunity in the lull and focusing on what they have. So rather than upgrading to a new home, people are upgrading their current home with renovations. Renovating your home with this in mind allows you to actually enjoy the home you have, and increase its actual value and appeal when it comes time to sell. These factors and economical influences will change city to city, country to country. Regardless, we all want to live in a home that suits our needs and a home that is a valuable asset for us in the future. So when the time comes, what will potential buyers be looking for?
People looking for houses in Medicine Hat focus on two key things.
Cleanliness and trendiness… that’s it! I think it’s safe to say those are two crucial elements regardless of what city you live in. Your home should be aesthetically pleasing inside and out for starters. If you’re considering selling your home sooner or later, prepping it to be presentable come the time to sell is a great factor that attributes to overall interest from potential buyers. However that isn’t enough, you also need to stand out! See what’s trending in designs, functionality, and styles. Talking to professionals in the housing industry such as real estate agents and contractors will give you the insider info on what is and isn’t selling. Do some research yourself and see what people are talking about, see what’s popular. There are many articles, blogs, and videos at your fingertips; so surf away! Start asking people who are surrounded by this trade every day, and at the end of the day you will find efficient and effective solutions have already been come up with that are extremely cost-effective.
Ok now, here’s three simple things for you to focus on when you consider renovating.
- Renew the gateway to your domain, your front door. Make people stop and admire the color, design, and hardware. It hints to what other gems lay hidden inside. A fantastic front entrance is a fantastic first impression. In today’s world, first impressions make an immense difference in opportunities to be had, so do it right! Getting a beautiful door for your front entrance that is also reinforced is great, but save your money and get cheaper materials for your interior doors if you see fit. You could also contact us and ask what we recommend for paints and trims as well. Additionally, having a front deck can significantly improve the inviting feel of your entrance. If you like meeting your neighbors for morning coffee, you can invite them to your own deck to enjoy the newly returned summer rays. Just take a look at what you have and if it doesn’t scream “danger, stay out” you’re on the right track. Tweaking the hardware of the front entrance as well as the structure such as the deck or siding is the most effective way to change your homes first impression for passers-by and potential buyers.
- Restyle your kitchen with on-trend colors and designs by replacing doorways, updating hardware, and installing new countertops and backsplashes. The kitchen is the heart of the home, the focal point to family dinners and celebrations. People will be spending a significant amount of time in their kitchen, so having something up to date and appealing can influence a buying decision dramatically. Having more open concept cabinets and shelving, for example, can save money on materials and give a sense of the room being larger. Paint everything for more up to date and inviting colors. If you’re really looking to save money, instead of thinking about granite countertops, look at some alternatives such as ceramic and tile. However, investing more in quarts or granite can have a huge impact on someone’s buying decision because it looks amazing and saves them the time and effort of upgrading later on in the future. For flooring, you don’t have to travel to five thousand kilometers to Central America for rare exotic wood planks. You don’t need heated flooring (although people love it). You don’t need LED light shows emitting from glass walkways. This is all redundant and obvious information but keep in mind your wants vs needs when it comes to home renovations. Start with what’s important and work within your budget. Most professional home renovation companies such as us here at Strongwood Construction are more than willing to consult with you for free and help you break things down according to your budget.
- Refresh the entire house with new doors, trim, hardware, and paint. Using low-cost materials and services that still have a high impact can get the job done without breaking the bank. By doing this, you have the opportunity to give your house a “facelift” for lack of a better term. Experimenting with different styles and colors can unlock new potential in every corner and allow you to update anything that isn’t currently sought after or trending. Just try to keep it consistent when it comes to color. Walking into a rainbow collage of mixed colors and styles can be confusing and not so inviting for potential buyers and even yourself. Unless that’s your style! Just keep in mind that if you end up selling, you are trying to please the general portion of home buyers, make it easier for them to tweak back into their preferred style. Find sales on your materials, use your better judgment and focus on the areas that need work and move your way up. Tackling the most apparent problems or gaps in the look and functionality of your home will have profound effects on the overall appeal of your space, so break it down into whatever is digestible for your budget.
Doing your renovations right the first time!
One of the most overlooked and most common mistakes is doing it yourself or hiring someone who isn’t fully qualified. In order to avoid any complications, get the professionals to take care of it so you only have to invest in a renovation once. While some alternatives such as DIY projects seem appealing since it’s cheaper, it actually just adds more problems and you end up spending more money since you’re having to redo everything if something goes wrong. With local experts such as Strongwood Construction, you can rest easy knowing you have pro’s taking care of everything for you; all while ensuring quality and your satisfaction every step of the way.
Here’s what to expect in return from these renovations.
If you are planning on staying in your home for the foreseeable future, you benefit by being able to enjoy the true potential of your home. Renovations give you a new lens to see your humble abode as the dream house it’s capable of becoming. However, if you are planning on selling, you can expect to achieve a much higher return on investment by increasing the overall value of your home with these key renovations.
You get what you give when it comes to renovations. Managing your budget and finding the proper alternatives while maintaining a consistent and inviting design makes it easy and affordable to reinvent your home with the right renovations. Investments tend to have more than 80% of a return on average, and when done right you may get more than what you put in, so talk to the experts for other tips and tricks.
- If you’re planning on selling or buying your home, renovations will benefit you immediately and residually. You will not only enjoy your home now, but you’ll enjoy the return on your investment later on down the line.
- Keep in mind you only need to apply simple yet effective solutions when it comes to renovations in order to reap the rewards without breaking the bank.
- Your front entrance is the gateway and face of your home, so if you want to improve the overall look of your home, your front entrance is a good place to start.
- Kitchens are a huge focus in every home and have some of the highest return on investments. You don’t have to go all out, just updating the cabinets or countertops can be cheap and effective.
- Detailing the hardware of your home with doors, windows, and trims can have a great impact on the overall feel of your home and it’s functionality.
- Don’t waste your time or money, get it done right the first time. People have spent years of their lives perfecting this craft, find someone you can trust.
If you live nearby Medicine Hat, come by and check us out and see what we have to offer and see what everyone is talking about.
About the Author
Lyle was born and raised in Medicine Hat where he grew up as ‘Dad’s Little Helper’ in the shop. After graduating from high school with honors, he spent a year at the Medicine Hat College in pre-med and played on the Rattler’s Men’s basketball team. Upon serving a mission in Montreal for two years, he returned with different ambitions for his career. He moved to Edmonton to study Construction Engineering at NAIT, where he graduated with a 3.95 GPA and received offers from large commercial companies. Deciding to follow his passion for renovation, he and his new wife moved to Lethbridge where he worked as a project manager and estimator for a residential renovation company. After gaining experience and yearning to build his own company, they moved back to Medicine Hat where Strongwood Construction was born. From humble beginnings in Dad’s garage with a family van, Lyle grew the company, eventually catching the eye of Home Depot, who brought the company on board for their installation services. Outgrowing their garage space, they moved into a 2000 sq. ft. commercial building and added employees to the mix. Lyle has since expanded Strongwood Construction to 4000 sq. ft., 11 employees, four “Best of Medicine Hat Renovation Company” awards, and continues to impress customers with their design services and quality work. As a husband and father, this hometown entrepreneur has created one of Medicine Hat’s largest and most premier renovation companies.